Trine Battles Olivet to 2-2 Tie

Trine Battles Olivet to 2-2 Tie

OLIVET, MICH.  --  Junior Ben Moricz (Valparaiso, Ind./Valparaiso) scored a goal and an assist in a 2-2 double overtime tie against Olivet (Mich.) College in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association action in Olivet, Mich.

Trine (3-1-2, 1-1-1 MIAA) recorded nine shots in the first half with three of those being on net, including a shot by Moricz at the 29:44 minute mark that found the back of the net with an assist from freshman Jonathan Slone (Troy, Ohio/Troy Christian). 

The goal turned out to be the only score of the opening period as the Thunder took its one-goal advantage into the locker rooms.

Olivet (1-5-2, 0-1-2 MIAA) got its offense going early in the second period, needing just 1:47 to net the game-tying goal to even the score at 1-1.  The Comets struck again shortly after during the 51st minute with another score to take a 2-1 advantage.

Trine snapped the two-point scoring streak with a point of its own at the 55:33 mark when senior Mason Pelphrey (Portsmouth, Ohio/Clay) recorded his team-leading fourth goal of the season to make it a 2-2 game.  Moricz added to his individual point total on the day with an assist on the Pelphrey goal.

Both teams recorded scoring chances to end the half, but all attempts ended in saves, keeping the game deadlocked at 2-2 and forced overtime.

Junior Kurt Wysocki (Avon, Ohio/St. Edward) looked to end the game early in the first overtime with a scoring chance just over a minute into play, but the attempt found its way into the hands of the Olivet netminder.  The Comets had a couple of attempts of their own on a shot that hit the post and one that ended in a save by sophomore Quinn O'Brien (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North).  After 100 minutes of playing time, the contest remainded in a 2-2 tie, sending the game into a second overtime period.

The Thunder had multiple scoring opportunities in the second overtime as Trine outshot Olivet, 5-1.  But the Thunder offense could not net the go-ahead and game-winning goal before time expired, leaving the game in a 2-2 tie.

O'Brien had another solid performance for Trine in net, playing all 110 minutes and made six saves.

Trine will return home to begin a three-game homestand beginning with a MIAA matchup against Kalamazoo (Mich.) College on Saturday, Sept. 23 at the Weaver Soccer Field.  The game is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.