Trine Wins Third Straight With Victory Against Olivet

Trine Wins Third Straight With Victory Against Olivet

OLIVET, MICH.  --  Senior Kevan Barissi (Grand Rapids, Mich./Forrest Hills Central) scored a game and career-high seven goals to help lead the Trine University men's lacrosse team to its third straight victory with a 22-4 win against Olivet (Mich.) College in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association action in Olivet, Mich.

In addition to Barissi, junior Eric Peal (Imperial, Mo./Seckman) also had a career day with six goals and added two assists for a team-high eight points.  Fellow junior Conner Putman (Ridgefield, Conn./Ridgefield) continued the individual career efforts with a career-best five goals and also added an assist for six points.

Senior Nick Maher (DeWitt, Mich./DeWitt) tied Barissi in overall points with seven, led by a game-high five assists to go along with a pair of goals.  Sophomore Justin Gearig (Vicksburg, MIch./Vicksburg) had a pair of assists to finish with two points on the day.

Junior Neil Orr (Lombard, Ill./Montini Catholic) and freshman Dave Keptner (Midland, Mich./H.H. Dow) both scored a goal for one point, and junior Daniel William Shine (Chicago, Ill./Lane Tech College Prep), senior Lucas Radice (West Chicago, Ill./West Chicago) and freshman Tyler Corless (St. Clair Shores, Mich./De La Salle) all recorded an assist for a point each to round out the point scorers.

In net, sophomore Joseph Steigmeyer (Fort Wayne, Ind./Bishop Dwenger) got the win playing just under 40 minutes (39:56) and allowed no goals, while making five saves.  Freshman Anthony Marasco (Naperville, Ill./Nequa Valley) played the final 20:04 and had five saves and gave up four goals.   Keptner and junior Garrett Nichols (Owasso, Okla./Owasso) led the team in ground balls with six each.

Trine (8-5, 3-2 MIAA) held Olivet (1-11, 1-4 MIAA) scoreless through the third period and put up six goals in the first quarter that included three goals by Barissi.  Putman, Maher and Orr scored the other three goals for the Thunder with Orr's goal coming on a man-up advantage as the visitors led, 6-0 after the first period.

In the second quarter, the lead remained six goals until the 2:45 mark when Putman recorded his second goal of the game to make the score, 7-0.  The final two goals in the frame came within the last minute of play, beginning with a "man-up" goal by Peal and then Barissi tallied his fourth marker with under 30 seconds to go to increase the margin to 9-0 at halftime.

The Trine offense exploded in the third quarter as the Thunder posted 10 goals.  All of the goals were scored in the last 12:10 of the period with Peal tallying four of those goals.  Putman and Barissi both added two more scores to their goal totals and the remaining goals came off the sticks of Maher and Keptner as the Trine lead grew to 19-0 after 45 minutes of action.

Olivet got on the board in the fourth quarter with the first three goals of the period to make the score 19-3.  Putman, Peal and Barissi then struck again for their final goals of the game to answer the earlier Comet scores and increased the advantage to 22-3.  The Comets scored the final goal of the game with 41 seconds remaining, but the Thunder already had the victory secured and went on to the 22-4 final.

Trine will play its final two games of the regular season at home starting with a matchup against Calvin (Mich.) College on Tuesday, Apr. 24 at Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium.  The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.