Men's Hockey Tripped up in Duluth

Men's Hockey Tripped up in Duluth

DULUTH, Minn. -- The Trine University men's hockey team came out short in a back and forth contest with the hosts from the College of St. Scholastica, losing by the score of 5-3.

The Saints struck first on the night scoring a goal in the eighth minute of play to take the 1-0 lead.

It took almost ten minutes but the Thunder responded with a goal of their own. Junior Corey Robertson (South Lyon, Mich.) started the play with a shot from the near the blueline which went wide of its mark ending up in the corner. Sophomore Aryan Batra (Franklin, Mich.) picked up the loose puck and passed inside to a waiting Brad Jenion (Macclesfield, Great Britain) who wasted no time burying a shot in the back of the net. The goal, Jenion's fifth of the season, brought Trine back into a 1-1 tie.

Following the first intermission, it was the Thunder's turn once again to come up with a goal. An errant pass in the defensive zone left a Saints' player scrambling to control the puck in front of their own net. Sophomore TJ Delaney (St. Louis, Mo.) swooped in and took advantage of the loosely controlled puck coming up with a steal and immediately firing it on net for his first goal of the season.

The Thunder would surrender a goal in under a minute later and the teams entered the second half of the period once again tied this time at two apiece.

Trine took back the lead in the 13th minute with a powerplay goal. After an offensive-zone faceoff, the Thunder worked the puck around the ice. Freshman Brett Piper (Cartier, Manitoba) passed the puck back to the point where senior Henry Hearon (Chicago, Ill.) fired off a shot toward the goal. Corey Robertson deflected the shot into the back of the net for the goal.

Robertson's second goal of the season gave the Thunder a 3-2 lead which they would take into the final intermission.

The third period was all St. Scholastica as they scored two goals to take the lead and then iced the game in the final minute with an empty-netter.

Trine falls to 4-3 overall and 3-2 in Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) play following the loss. They will face off with the Saints again tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 23. The contest is set to start at 4 p.m. CST.